Monday, August 8, 2011

The Voice

So, It’s been a little over a year since my knee surgery (and my last post), for the latter I apologize. It’s not that I wanted to stop communicating my day to day life with RA, it’s more like I’ve been trying to keep up with my younger, stronger knees. Like a tired mother chasing around a rambunctious toddler. You see, my ability and strength is coming back faster than my endurance, leaving me all but drained at the end of the day.

At first I didn’t feel too guilty about this, as I was using this blog more as an outlet. A place to put into words exactly what I was feeling and going through and figured no one’s universe would come crashing down if I didn’t get around to posting. I was being narrow minded and a little selfish. It was brought to my attention recently that this blog doesn’t only have to be an outlet for me, but a resource for others. A way or other patients to relate and know they are not alone, and for people trying to better understand the disease and learn about it. Maybe to bridge the gap a little between those that suffer from RA and those that are confused by it. Even to lend a hand those that fall into both categories. Unlike many of those who have been diagnosed with RA, I’m not afraid to talk about it, to answer questions, or to educate. I have no problem explaining to people who don’t understand the struggles of the disease, exactly what we go through every day, which those that are living with the disease know, it’s no easy task. People don’t understand everything that this delightful ailment comes with. The pain, the fatigue, the inflammation, the medicinal side effects, flare-ups and let downs. But sadly, some people don’t want to know, to learn. They’d much rather go along thinking that’s it’s all in our, the patients head. That we are lazy hypochondriacs, after all, everyone has aches and pains. Everyone gets tired. I’ll be the voice. I’m not ashamed or defeated and trust me, I have a lot to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment